A Simple Year is a year long on-line course that I’m participating in that covers subjects related to simplifying your life. For the month of August (I’m playing catchup here), the topic covered was titled Staying Simple, which provided information and tools on how to simplify aspects of your home. The topic teacher was Brooke McAlary who blogs about simplicity on Slow Your Home.
This months topic was filled with very inspiring and motivational information. Brooke started off with providing an introduction of why she started to simplify her life. Being someone who was overwhelmed with trying to have it all, a successful business, a family, house and all the trimmings, she was candid about the phases in her life that lead her to a meltdown and decision to simplify her life.
What I really loved about this topic was that she cut straight to the subject of how to unearth your priorities. The reason being that if you spend time understanding your priorities, your motivation to living a more simpler life becomes easier.
So I thought I’d share with you the 7 questions that she asked for reflection on:
- Who are the most important people in my life?
- What experiences are most important to me?
- Looking back at my life, what do I want to see? What do I want others to see?
- Imagine a perfect day. Describe my surroundings, my feelings, my attitude. What is in common with my current life?
- What about my current life doesn’t feature at all?
- If I had a simpler life, what positive things could I move towards?
- What negative things could I move away from?
By answering these questions, it will help you to understand what your priorities are in life. Did you come up with anything interesting or surprising? I’d love to know.
Till next time, xD
Image Source: Photography by Doris Lee